Friday, December 19, 2008

Blast from the Past #130: design for the "Battle Nexus" arena

Back in 2003, when I was working with Lloyd Goldfine and the 4Kids crew on the first of the "Battle Nexus" episodes, I had some ideas for how I thought the arena in which the fighters would clash could work. Basically, it was a multi-tiered area with each tier being a different shape, and divided into discreet segments. Reflecting the "elimination" aspect of the competitions, each successive tier would have half the number of segments of the tier below it, culminating in the single segment in the top tier wherein the final battle to determine the Battle Nexus champion would take place.



This design wasn't used as is -- I think it was deemed too complicated -- but elements of it ended up in the final look of the arena as it appeared in those episodes. I used one of my favorite 3D programs, Bryce, to rough out the design I had in mind. -- PL

7 comments:

  1. How big would have the actual playset been? It's hard to see that turtle figure representing an actual toy figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " Dragon Turtle said...

    How big would have the actual playset been? It's hard to see that turtle figure representing an actual toy figure."

    I'm not sure what "playset" you are referring to -- this post is about a design I came up with for the Battle Nexus arena as it appeared in the animated TMNT tv show. -- PL

    ReplyDelete
  3. PL said...


    "I'm not sure what "playset" you are referring to -- this post is about a design I came up with for the Battle Nexus arena as it appeared in the animated TMNT tv show. -- PL"


    Ohh... yes I see, sorry, I've had toys on the brain lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I had read something about an arena battle playset at one time as well, and vaguely remember seeing production sketches for it online...?

    -r

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...then again, I guess it could've possibly been a Star Wars: Attack of the Clones arena playset, for all I know! haha

    (Speaking of toys, though - WHERE ARE THOSE NEW NECA FIGURES?! Shredder, Utrom, Elite, Foot Soldier, ect.)

    -r

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome. Am I outing myself as a geek gamer when I say it totally looks like something my husband and I ought to borrow for an RPG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nevas Technologies specializes in Microsoft Dynamics GP. On Microsoft Dynamics GP support our team can provide GP support, no matter your version of Dynamics GP, we offer Great Plains Support plans for all Microsoft Dynamics Great Plains modules and ISV applications. Our team of GP Consultants provides flexible support plans for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2018, Dynamics GP 2019 and Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016.

    ReplyDelete